The Lady Eve

November 10th, 2010

I think this is the masterpiece of Preston Sturges, I love the characters and story so much.
Charles Pike is a honest guy and Jean Harrington is a smart woman, a big contrast pair but good match. And one of the scenes I like so much which is almost all of the women are staring at Pike and they are trying to do something to catch his eyes (of course they are not success but Jane does). I think this is a funny battle, those women know that Pike is a rich guy, and they want to marry him to have a rich and wonderful life. All of them are material girl and they’re competing with each others because of they want to be Mrs. Pike. From this we can tell, they are in love with Pike’s money only not him. Jean is a smart woman, she knows that how to get the thing she wants. She knows that other women are interesting in Pike so she is using her mirror’s reflection to keep looking at Pike’s facial expression and response. At the beginning, Jean and her dad just want to get some money from Pike, Jean never thinks about in love with this guy. But Jean found out Pike is a silly guy but honest so she can’t stop herself in love with him. What a romantic movie with witty battle. And I love the following dialog from Jean so much: ” you don’t know very much about girls. The best ones aren’t as good as you think they are and the bad ones aren’t as bad. Not nearly as bad.” I think this is a meaningful one.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS